Leave a gift in your will

Leaving a gift to Refuge in your will has the power to transform lives.


Refuge is committed to a world where domestic violence is not tolerated or ignored.

By remembering Refuge in your will you can help to provide life-saving and life-changing services into the future.

Your support can help secure a future in which women and children can live in safety – free from fear.


Charitable legacies are exempt from Inheritance Tax.

If 10% or more of the net value of your estate is left to charity, this may reduce the amount of inheritance tax payable on the whole estate, so by helping Refuge you could also substantially reduce the amount of tax payable on your estate.

How do I leave a gift to Refuge in my will?

There are several ways in which you can leave a legacy gift to Refuge. A residuary gift (i.e. a percentage of your estate) will help make the biggest difference to Refuge’s work, because it will keep up with inflation and retain its value better than a fixed sum of money.

Download our step-by-step guide to leaving a legacy to Refuge and read our helpful glossary of terms.

If you would like to add a gift to Refuge to an existing will, you can do so easily by using a codicil. A codicil is a supplement that allows additions or changes to be made to a will.

If you have made more than one will, it is important that your codicil relates to your most recent will.

Please consult a professional when making a codicil. You can find a solicitor in your area through the Law Society or by calling 020 7242 1222.

What should I do after including Refuge in my will?

We are so grateful for your support. Telling us about your gift will help us plan for our future. It also means we can thank you and keep you updated on our work. Please complete this short Notification Form and return it to the Legacy team. All information will be kept confidential.

I have more questions

Our experienced team is happy to answer any questions you may have.  Please call us on 020 7395 7771 or email the Legacy Team.

For information on making or updating a will please visit www.adviceguide.org.uk or www.direct.gov.uk.